a blog that aims to put together information on helplines in Bombay and mobilieze and co-oridate info and help during the rains.
Sunday, July 31, 2005
What's the first thing that comes in your mind when you think of Tapoori's of Bombay??
nuisance value, eve teasing anti social elements , abusive n loud,fit for nothing moolchand eaters who find Salman khan cool and his item girls raapchik.....
I've heard, read and overheard many incidents of the exemplary acts of courage,selflessness and presences of mind of these very tapooris from saki-naka, marol, goegaon, dombivali, bhiwandi, kurla, powai, Gandhi nagar, vikroli park site, vakola, kalina, kurla, Borivali, dahisar, dattapada, poinsur....
The tappori were part of the infinite Mirta Mandals, Rahivashi Sangh's, youth groups and Mohalla committees from the infinite Basti's,Building's, zoppadpaati's and chawl's that are spread out across the city and its suburbs..
Some of the things that these guys did
- formed human chains to guide public through the flooded water
- swam n saved kids and old people
- warned people about manholes, gutters and nallah's by placing warning ropes and using sticks and bamboos to steers and probe for manholes
- bashed up taxi drivers who were fleecing public
- stopped every possible vehicle to ferry more people to their destinations
- mobilized more volunteers who in turn got more for the fielding and volunteer work
- distributed drinking water to the thirsty
We need to tell the politicians that we can do very well without you, and please don't even fucking think about coming for my vote for the BMC elections.
SS,BJP,NCP,Congress .. ... My Middle finger salute to you
Pic courtesy Sai's Bindass Bol.
posted by Unknown at 7/31/2005 01:09:00 AM
Saturday, July 30, 2005
I saw DUS today, damn late 4 weeks after its release at Jaya, Borivali ..... a few reasons no tickets, rain, office shifting etc etc...
Over Movie is well made, nice plot, good songs and item numbers , no faltoo acting except the needless melodrama at the end by the entire cast.... Acting was average by all but stunts were really cool...
I liked da movie.... definitely worth a dekko if you haven't seen it yet...
DUS gets 7/10 from me :))
Movies I wanna watch
7 1/2 pheres
Am I missing any new releases apart from Masookha!!
(Jaya Talkies is also famous for its RWITC, Derby betting counter and its Kumar Sleazy Video Parolur :)) )
posted by Unknown at 7/30/2005 09:03:00 PM
* You and your girlfriend are "friendly"
* You've never had a grandmother, you've always had a Nana; The same goes for Dada
* Bastard is baashturd And baashturd is always preceeded by bleddie
* And if the DJ doesn't play the "masala" he's a bleddie baashturd and u feel like jhaaping or clipping him (Masala means songs starting with Glayan sankli sonya chi..and ending with Ya Ya mayem yo..)
* The first thing you ask another catholic is "Which Parish?"
* And you are a Mayhim boy or a Banruh girl
* Every sentence you say ends with "men"
* Women are "chicks" and men are "buggers"
* It's okay if you skipped your best friend's birthday, but Sunday 9 o'clock mass - "Have to go men, to meet da chicks and da buggers!"
* You utter 9 Fu*&s for every 3 words
* You know at least one person in Vasai, Borivali I.C. colony and Orlem, each
* You know 13 Savio's and 7 Seans. (Shawns)
* You've been living in Bombay all your life, but you're actually from Goa
* You'll skip the India vs Pakistan cricket match but not the Christmas dance
* You love going to the local "fete" to watch the parish king and queen contest
* When you disagree you say "balls"
* You can't play cricket to save your life, but you rock at football
* You don't like Remo too much, but if a non-catholic doesn't like him, you'll kick his arse for it
* Your Hindi is a little better than Michael Jackson's
* You claim you can't speak Konkani, but in reality, you can use it to win the Nobel Prize for literature
* Christmas is not happy, it's merry
* Suits are black, dark blue and grey. Only.
* Sunday is chicken/prawn curry day
* Your freezer is filled with last years Sorpotel, which if u heat and eat with pao no, its damn tashty man!
* When you order pav bhaji, you eat more pav than bhaji
* You hate mangies and vice-versa
* Both Goans and mangies hate east-indians a little
* You didn't watch Sholay but you've seen "Sound of Music", "Benhur", "Passion of Christ", "Ten Commandments" in a theatre.
* You think Mel Gibson is such a nice man.
* And Last but not the least your father thinks He is Portuguese even though he can barely grunt one or two Portuguese words.
posted by Unknown at 7/30/2005 07:08:00 PM
Friday, July 29, 2005
Thursday, July 28, 2005
Though I'm posting this after 20 hours after reaching home... Its feels nice to be home... Dry clothes and a sofa to zzz....
I reached at 10 pm yesterday (27th July), right now I'm at the SIFY cyber cafe in my area...
Our boss dropped us at Bandra Reclamation junction, then me bhatta and girish walked towards Bandra station....
.. The road towards badna station was in all shambles and shit....
The often abused and blamed slum dwellers made a human chain and were guiding the public towards the railway station... Kids were holding cardboard placards and directing the route through the bandra masjid gullies...
Bandra majid and the local mohalla people were distributing water to the commuters...
it was like a sea of humanity which had assembled to head home....
we decided to skip a few trains, we caught the 3rd train to borivali.... After moving slowing till upto Santa Cruz for about 40-45 mins , we reached borivali in 40 mins...
then took a Auto and reached in 10 mins....
Overall smooth journey if you compare to the ordeals many of my friends had to go thorough....
I've taken a few pics will post them soon...
I hope the GODS take a break and throw some sunshine :))
posted by Unknown at 7/28/2005 08:52:00 PM
Wednesday, July 27, 2005
posted by Unknown at 7/27/2005 01:22:00 PM
A tree that failed to withstand the gusty winds balances precariously on a car at M J Road, Matunga.
posted by Unknown at 7/27/2005 12:49:00 PM
posted by Unknown at 7/27/2005 12:43:00 PM
posted by Unknown at 7/27/2005 12:42:00 PM
posted by Unknown at 7/27/2005 12:34:00 PM
posted by Unknown at 7/27/2005 12:22:00 PM
Tuesday, July 26, 2005
If anyone you know is stuck in Lower Parel Area due to the rains n floods do lemme know If I can be of any help.
Im online and my number is 9323563789 ( do sms calls not working at the moment)
The situation is bad due to the high tide and hte sea water pushing the rain water back .....
Some folks from my office left 3 hours ago from Sun Mill Compund there have just reached Phoenix Mills a distance of 500 metres... .. reall grave scene hazaara vehicles stranded on the roads.. and absolute amd rush for food stock...
sid and girish take a bow for managing to getting da food!!!
posted by Unknown at 7/26/2005 09:09:00 PM
posted by Unknown at 7/26/2005 05:37:00 PM
posted by Unknown at 7/26/2005 04:49:00 PM
Saturday, July 23, 2005
posted by Unknown at 7/23/2005 02:53:00 PM
Friday, July 22, 2005
posted by Unknown at 7/22/2005 02:23:00 AM
I'm posting this mail for a friend from Goa who wrote to me....
now more on Matka :))
Matka is a form of gambling that originated in Mumbai or Bombay as it was
It started around the same time as the closure of the cotton exchange
figures of opening and closing that used to be transmitted to India and was
It was started by a gentleman called Ratan Khatri. The way it operated was
Mr Khatri would draw three cards at 9:00pm and the face value of the cards
would be totalled up.
for example if the three cards were the Ace of Spades, five of hearts and 9
of clubs. The opening number would be a sum of the three cards 1+5+9 = 15
The opening number would be 5 the display on the walls of selected sites
would show a "matka" or pot with the following legend
if 2, 3 and 4 was the next three cards drawn at 12 midnight,the final
display a few minutes after mid night would be
betting takes place or used to take place on all the numbers, i.e. 159 or
234 or 59 or even 5 or 9 or the whole nine yards (all of them). bettin on 5
or 9 know as the open and close in this example are the only returns i know
of, for a 25 paise bet the returns were Rs 2.25.
The bookies and it operated on kind of franchise, ( sorry MCDonalds we had
a franchise before you) if the betting was heavy on particuar number
and the punters won bookies were known to have disappeared overnight.
The term in Bombay - "Matka lagi" signifying a windfall originates here.
Of course it wasnt legal but who knows it was possibly the precursor of
There is no system and of course for a small sum of money you could buy tip
sheets for the gullible. There is no system save two to make money on the
First bet on either the open or close numbers. If a bet does not pay
dividends, double your bet for the same number the next day and keep
doubling until the payout. One of the ten numbers does have to show up. The
possibility of picking a pair and its permutations and combinations would be
horrendous enough to send a Cray into a tailspin.
The second system I keep the money to your self it will grow if u dont
throw it away :-)
Inputs courtesy Ravi (Bombay Central)
My freind PAkoo's uncle Gokul used to run a Matka adda in Shivaji Nagar (Behind I. C Church) and my Friend Bala still plays it non stop since 15 yrs.... the biggest matka he has had was winning 750 bucks on a 5 bucks game .... He is my guide on this subject, For me its pure mathemathics and permu n Combu , and some excel sheets :)) ......... I guess i'm more into into P/e, Reserves, Bonus games and stock tips :))
posted by Unknown at 7/22/2005 01:49:00 AM
Tuesday, July 19, 2005
posted by Unknown at 7/19/2005 10:10:00 PM
Sunday, July 17, 2005
posted by Unknown at 7/17/2005 12:45:00 PM
Wednesday, July 13, 2005
I've given myself an award... PVC,VC champion movers n packers :))
I shall write to Rashtrapatijee to call me on 26th Jan and gimme da citation & nakli gold medal and also gimme da ceremonial elephant ride on Rajpath...
What did i do ??
Well I was associated, Involved,in-charge of shifting a record number of 7 times in 5 years....
2000 IITB Physics dept
2001 Cypress Bldg, Powai
2002 Daffodil Bldg, Powai
2003 Monica Bungalow, Old Cuffe Parade
2004 Sadhna House, Worli
2004 Mittal Tower, Nariman Pt
2005 Sun Mill Compound, Lower Parel (or Upper Worli :) )
and so on........
I think I, Nilesh and handyman Sawant should start a all Bombay movers, packers and system integrators for offices and wannabe offices.
I must have interacted with the who's who of the world of carpenters,printers, card sellers, door makers, glass makers, key makers, plumbers, painters, tempos, hamaal's, A/c walas, cablewalas, BMC, RBI, ROC, PF, STPI, hardware and compy vendors, PR agencies, Ad agencies, Estate Agents, Courier walahs, ISP's, Stationery's, Phoolwalah, paperwalas, jhol electricians from BSES,BMC, MTNL,Postmen, etc etc and more.....
All my visiting cards must be with these guy who must be utilizing the vacant the rear side of the card ad they usually do for lack of paper.
Well that's life, but Duty hai karna padtha hai..... as the say in Bombay "Duniya mein jo bhi hota hai... peth aur uske neeche ke liye hota hai"
I think MyZus rocks and we will one day be a company that will make IITB and India proud...
check out www.myzus.com for more on what we do...
I also think my company MyZus should convert 2 cargo containers or Caravans and operate from Churchgate to Virar and VT to Karjat on alternate weeks.
Tomoroww is day-2 of the shifting lotsa pending work....
posted by Unknown at 7/13/2005 11:49:00 PM
Bombay is a city which is known for its good Samaritans, shady pick-pocketeers, helpful eunuchs, talkative bar girls, oil slicked nariyal pani walas, Groin scratching Bhaiyas, loud parsis, Polyester pant gujjus, mad kachrawalas who rob manhole lids, crazy BEST drivers, Chapter Macchiwalis, Unbathed well perfumed Goans, Pav sher drinking ghats, Business class travelers on top of Virar Trains...etc etc....
We have a new addition ghosts and souls of Bombay.... I guess that's why Bombay lives on... and not Bombay Dying :))
The pic says it all....
Pic courtesy : Beau Trincia, Berkeley.edu :)
posted by Unknown at 7/13/2005 01:40:00 AM
Tuesday, July 12, 2005
Nariman point, Churchgate, Oval MAidan areas filled with CRPF, Mumbai Police, PAndu Traffic wala,Fire Brigade Home Guards with carbines, .303, lathis, water cannons etec etc...
Total tight fielding by the cops trying to catch any sidey elements who might try to sneak in.... So ironic, the shadiest elements are already in Vidhan Sabha. I wonder value addition the poor Shiv sainik Karyakarta, Shaka Pramukh or Vibagh Pramukh willl be able to do...
RAne has been promised a cabinet seat by Big Daddy cool dude Sharad PAwar...... (He is the only guy I know who still wears the cool safari suits)
more on the Rane' Saga...
Oppn MLAs to seek Rane's ouster today
posted by Unknown at 7/12/2005 10:23:00 AM
Monday, July 11, 2005
I got little late to office today, thanks to the nakabandi at all places starting from Churchgate, K.C college, Amdar Niwas, Mantralaya, Nariman point, Cuffe Parade.... My taxiwallah had to take infinite turns and u turns to ge to Nariman point...
There must have been over 20000 cops and infinite more supporters....
Like they say in WWE superstar "Smack Down" & " Royal Rumble".... This is gonna be "Monday afty RAW"... a street fight is expected in a while.... Live TV, media, radio, blogs everyone will be covering it :))
Rane's goons v/s Uddhav Sena
Rane is a street smart policitican, he wouldnt have done this unless he had some tactic supoprt from bigger players... Bhujbal or Raj Thackeray is said to be... but those could be rumours...
This is what the tabloid has to say
Rane rada today
posted by Unknown at 7/11/2005 11:07:00 AM
Sunday, July 10, 2005
posted by Unknown at 7/10/2005 02:37:00 PM
Thursday, July 07, 2005
- they working at State Bank
- there are fed up with their jobs
- There is one guy called Firod who troubles one lady and she back answered her "ekdum Ragane"
- Nerulkar is one of their colleagues
- They have a conference coming up and nothing has been done so far, lotsa pending work...also overheard her saying "Subah ko Sazaa... raat ko Mazaa" I wonder if it meant what I think.....
- they have a friend who lived in Thane who fell down....
- one Aunty social is gonna come to Planet M in the evening to buy some gifts....
posted by Unknown at 7/07/2005 06:36:00 PM
Wednesday, July 06, 2005
Outside Maratha mandir, Bombay Central there is this shady, sleazy looking, not so appealing stall which sells the most amazing 'veg ragda chana' and 'dahi vadas'
the contents of the ragda chana are
boiled kabuli chana
hot ragda wid potatoes chunks
saffron colored mix spices n masalas
The way he makes is damn cool, he takes some boiling hot Kabuli chanas from the stove, pours some gravy, slices the big aloo pieces then puts some yellow watana then puts the chutneys, all spices, lil mustard oil, mixes it in styles and then put lotsa onions and coriander n pudina then cleans the bowl from the sides and hands it over...
All served in a China bowl fullto upto da brim, ekdum yummy hot n spicy.... total paisa vasool, cost wonly 5 bucks!!!
warning : not recommended for the weak stomachs and people who swear by the Frangipani and Taj
trivia about Maratha Mandir - This theatre has been playing Dilwale Dulhaniya le jayenge for the last 500 weeks, past 8-10 years and still continues to play..... the tickets are really cheap under 25 bucks.....
Often used by couples and people having affairs for total privacy at unbeliavable costs..... Where else will you get A/c facilty and privacy at the cost of a Moosambi juice :)) and also you can check mail for free at the Reliance internet kiosk :))
posted by Unknown at 7/06/2005 09:42:00 PM
Monday, July 04, 2005
Definitions of god on the Web:
Definitions of god on the Web:
posted by Unknown at 7/04/2005 10:58:00 PM
- 2 vada pav (Rs 8) + nimbu sherbet (Rs 2)
- 5 jhatpat lottery or 1 Playwin Thunderball Lotto
- One Ragda with extra mirchi with 4 Pavs mixed with Theeka & meetha Chutney (Rs 7) and One Kashimiri MAsala Soda (3 Bucks)
- 2 single kebab Pav with lotsa onions and green rocket chutney with pudina to eat.
- Breakfast at Cafe Bharat (Rs 8) (Menu changes daily idli, dosa, upda, vada, poha with tea)
- Rent a pirated VCD tell him abhi copy karke lata hoon
- 1 Falooda or 2 Fruit Salads at the local Mewad Icecream Wala.
- 3 glasses of chilled masala pudina buttermilk outside Parla Station (e)
- 100 gms Aloo Vadi (patra) + 100 gms of Dhokla at any Farsan Shop with extra papaya chutney, mirchi and orange chutney.
- 1 total tel body massage at Juhu beach, don't ask him for sabh kuch else he will start doing something shady.
- 5 old Phantom comics/ 2Archies from the local Bhangarwala.
- Infinite goodies and useful stuff at the Kuch bhi Uthaao stalls on the Roads of Churchgate, Fountain and VT.
- 2 Dabelis from the local dabliwala
- one sada dosa and one single vada from the local dosawala
- One grand samosa Bhel from Anupam bhel, Kalbadevi
- 1 ride on the merry go round or 2 in the wooden ghoda gaadi at Juhu.
- 1 midd-day, one ET,one Bhav Copy and one Gold Flake on a boring day.
- 10 bucks you can tip the waiter to get a vantage seat in the Ladies Bar.
- 10 bucks is enough to cheer up apna local traffic pandu.
- 2 masala pavs ( usually when you don't have money for the Pav Bhaji)
- rent a cycle for 2 hours
- HAve a plateful of assorted fruits (mango,papaya,chiku,banana, watermelon,pine apple) in Nariman Pt, Vt, Fort, ChurchGate area.
- watch a movie at a pirated video parlour
- play 5 games of Matka at your local adda or 2 games of Carroms at your local carrom club
- play 10 games of Contra/Mario on the Antique Videogame outside shady joints.
- 2 ek sau bees, hari patti, bhola pakka, hari patti, elachi Mawa and one Meetha Pan
- 30 mins in a Cyber Cafe
- Travel 6 kms on the top deck of a Double Decker BEST bus and put your feet outside the window
posted by Unknown at 7/04/2005 06:03:00 PM
posted by Unknown at 7/04/2005 03:05:00 PM
Saturday, July 02, 2005
Cocktails we had, pls dont ask me the names
B'day boy wid da Walrus mucchi!!
me n shantanu.
Sidewok has some of the best cocktails in Bombay and one of the best bartenders in Virendra who can mix some really mean drinks.
Drinks were expensive but very colorful, more than the drink the way they were made by virendra was fun to watch.
A special drink a green colored mint flavoured iced drink with a bit from all the booze from the bar is named after me Sat'2's Poison :))..
more pics at CNB's page http://freedomink.org/gallery/solzaire29
posted by Unknown at 7/02/2005 02:13:00 PM
Go n Watch it preferably in Shreyas,Eros, Deep Mandir, KT, AJanta but not in a INOX, FAME etc where the public is dead and unanimated.
The story = well bacha bacha of Bombay knows who's life the main protagonist is copied from, though I don't like certain things about Bal Thackeray I find certain things about him right and cool. More on that some other time.
No Ganas, no bajana, no wet rain dance, no jumping over terraces, no bakwas ...... only dialogs and silent scenes....
posted by Unknown at 7/02/2005 02:02:00 PM
Friday, July 01, 2005
posted by Unknown at 7/01/2005 03:42:00 PM