Sunday, December 11, 2005

Jatra @ I.C.Colony Feast, Borivli

I've being going to the Immaculate Conception Church Feast at IC Colony since I was a kid, nothing much has changed its the same wax candle, chana, sweets, housie games, Ferris wheel, magic shows, Maut ka Kua, Aapti Bombs, Loud whistles...Only thing that has changed is the number of old Goan residents who have either migrated to NZ, Canada, Australia or back to Goa..

I went today in the morning as I know this place won’t have place for even ants in the evening. The two-day festival is held every second Saturday and Sunday of December is all about faith, shopping, food, entertainment and music.

Mother Mary @ I.C Church

Mother Mary @ I.C Church

Candles and Wax Statues

Candles and Wax Statues
These are offerings bought by the faithful.. eg If you wish for a house you offer a Wax model of the house, I think it works else so many won't be doing it :))

St. Francis D'Assisi

St. Francis D'Assisi
This is my alma mater.

Ring Game run by D'Assisi boarders

Ring Game run by D'Assisi boarders

Candle and Wax Stall

One of the many Candle and Wax Stalls.

Mask Seller

Mask Seller..
I think the seller is somewhere behind the masks :))

Sweets wala

Sweets wala
I've been eating these sweets for the last 20 years but i still dunno what they are called :))

Ferris Wheel

Ferris Wheel
I dunno why its called Aaakash Paalhna in Marathi :))

Flames at Candle Stand

Flames at Candle Stand
This is place where thousands offer thier candles with devotion and hope.

Magic show

Magic show
This is one of the boring magic shows but I remember as a kid I used to rush and sit in the front so that me magican would call me to volunteer during his performance.

Maut ka Kua

Maut ka Kua
This well has not only bikes but also a maruti car doing the rounds, and the bike is rode by a girl.

Candle and Flower Seller

Candle and Flower Seller
This guy wanted me to take his pic...I think he supports a good cause check out his wrist band.

Pannalal the Donkey

Pannalal the Donkey
This Donkey is THEe celebrity donkey who roams around the country performing shows proving his smartness and intelligence

Shotgun Baloons

Shotgun Baloons
The guy is getting his stall ready for the evening.

Paanipuri- Ragda Stall

Paanipuri- Ragda Stall

Falooda

Falooda Seller
Juz Too much Color and Ice... total Psychedelic!!


WMD Aaapti Bombs

WMD Aaapti Bombs
These bombs burst when you apptofy them on the ground...aaptofy is a powerful hurl.


There might a million Malls & Multiplexes but the Jatras & Melas are here to stay!!