Thursday, November 25, 2004

rendezvous' at passport office


I had gone to the thane passport office yesterday to get my ECNR thing done.
the timing for enquiry and submission was 10.30 to 12.30 noon and collection is 3.30 to 5.30 (they have made it 4.30 now)

this is a huge place wid spaced out people wid documents n fotus in triplicate running from counter to counter and more counters.....
since my previous experiences have never been smooth I decided to talk to an agent first.. I go to the least shady looking of them ... I told bhai ECNR karneka hai .. he says form leke aao 1 number counter pe... the evil security guard who job is to juss stop all the people from entering so that the agents get their work done..
I tell him passport hai stamp maarkne ka hai...
I reach counter number 1... I give da lady 20 buck note for a 5 buck form (I'm worried that she wont return da change), after waiting for a while I find some chiller in my bag... I come outside again and give da forms n tell da agent to fill it up... thumb impressions n multiple signatures.. here n there...
then again counter number 7....
da guy on counter number 7 is missing in action... its nearly 12.10 .. this spaced out guy finally emerges from da loo... has a look on my cerits ask totally tangent questions...then take my papers to some superiors and comes back... has a long stare at da passport and and me .. and blurts toda alag hai fotu.. ye right fucker.. this has a frechie .. after ruthlessly stamping 3-4 times.. he says abi counter number 8 mein jao madam ke paas
Im at counter number 8, this totally pained madam doing some major kaam (12.20 pm)
im waiting .. im second in line.. some sidey agent gets in between... 12.21
then some sidey staff comes wid some wedding invitation card.. I think its one of his children.. he wrote da card to all in da office not individually so our madam was cribbing about it.. this rendezvous goes on and on and finally its all smiles at 12.26
then the printer goes kaput... out techie madam tries to be Mr fix it... its a shady legacy dot matrix printer... she maraos some 8-10 prints before getting it right... 12.28 pm... me in on GAS by then... else I would have to come again the next day....
then vola da printer starts working... Mr pandey da agent get his work done...
now im on line... she cant find my documents... I help her out... pay her da money...
she says... sade cahr baje aao... and da madam says sorry for da delay .. ..wow when did one hear Govt servants say dat!!
wow.. mission 1 done (12.30 pm)

now for four hours im in Thane , time which never seems to passs..... after having 2 lunch rounds of nasta pani and checking mail at a cafe... I go back to da passport office..... finally got it done at 4.15 pm ..

We Indians tend to blame these guys for all da shit they put us through, we are partially right but I also feel that these guys are a frustrated lot... frustrated coz of the people the have to hang out n interact everyday.... illiterate junta from all over, lousy travel agents n their side kicks, hajis n their gangs of ten .. one to fill form 10 for moral support, rude aunty fed up of being shoved from counter to counter...
If you ask me would I like to go there again no way ...... I guess god made these guys or punished them rather to do this job :):)

http://thanepassport.bom.nic.in/